The melodious song of the
magpies. The squawking of the rainbow
lorikeets in the grevilleas. The short
trills of the fairy wrens as they move in their group darting amongst the roses
and cordylines looking for small insects. The quiet chugging of a tractor in
the distance. The sound of cows tearing
up clumps of grass in the paddock next door.
I
love the quiet of the country that lets you hear the small background
sounds. And then there can be the sudden
outburst from a couple of kookaburras, competing to see which can be the
loudest!
I
love it when it is warm enough to have the door open to the courtyard. Then I can hear the noises from outside – the
calls of the different birds, the sound of the cows waiting at the dairy on the
other side of the valley, the rustle of the leaves and the grasses, the tinkle
of the water when the fountain is on. I
don’t have the fountain going very much when it is just me at home – because
one of the sounds I like best is the splashing that the birds make as they
bathe in the water of the main tier of the fountain – and they tend not to do
that when the fountain is actually running.
The male Satin Bower Bird visits for a bath most early mornings and late
afternoons.... and the young magpies at any time of the day.
I
think a lot of my enjoyment in getting up early is actually because it is so
quiet...... just the sound of the kettle
coming to the boil... the ticking of the clock over the bookcase, and the
rustle of the pages as I read my Bible.
I remember as a child the
pin-dropping quietness in winter which alerted you to the sound-absorbing
quality of a thick layer of overnight snow—long before you opened your eyes and
saw the glaring whiteness of the window..... although if you had slept in a
bit, there would be the tell-tale scrape of spade and thump of broom as the
early-risers cleared the path to the front door.
I
listen for the wind rustling the cedars outside the front door – I can’t hear
them from the family room but you can guess it’s happening when the leaves
dance in little circles on the paving outside the window. Those big trees can be very noisy when
there’s a southerly change coming through, and the strength of the wind can
come as a bit of a shock when you step outside the front door.
I
listen for the sound of the school bus picking up the children who live over
the road... and shortly afterwards the crunch on the gravel as the postman’s
truck pulls in to the driveway to put letters in our mailbox.
Sometimes
the sound of the drying cycle of the dishwasher comes as a surprise – if
everything is stacked correctly there is so little noise when it is in the
washing part of the cycle.....
I
don’t listen to the radio very much at all... I have to confess I often get so
cranky at comments made by people when
the ‘lines are thrown open’ that I’ve stopped listening even to sensible
programs!
I
listen for the sound of the timer when I am cooking... particularly when I am
baking: I don’t seem to be able to just commit the time to memory and keep
track of the minutes! And I hear the
sound of the timer that Vern uses to make sure he doesn’t sleep too long when
he has a short nap after lunch.
I
sometimes listen to music, from my iPod.... earlier this year I played a lot of
BeeGees for a couple of weeks, which coincided with the death of Robin
Gibb. I still enjoy Celine Dionne and
Eric Clapton unplugged..... and music from the Three Tenors.
I
listen for the sound of the car door outside, and the key turning in the lock
as Vern comes home after work.
I
rarely use the fan of the range-hood – I hate the amount of noise that it
makes.. although when we need to use it I am grateful that is it so efficient!
Now that Mollie is almost blind and pretty deaf she is a lot
more tentative about coming in through the dog door... and often will wait
outside and give a short sharp bark to let us know she is there... then we give
a couple of loud claps preferably near the laundry, and she comes in... and
usually expects a Schmacko treat as a reward!
She usually seems to notice when someone comes to the front door, and
will bark before the front door bell rings... but not if she is in a very deep
sleep.
No comments:
Post a Comment