I
would so much rather do other things than ‘housework’!!
I
am happy to do the household shopping – most times, anyway. And planning and cooking the evening meal is
something I enjoy doing most nights.
But
I am not naturally neat and super-tidy (definitely not a tidy-tidy person like
my friend Gael!).
Having
places where things belong makes it much easier to tidy up. Thinking back to the first few houses we
lived in, I didn’t make sure that there were enough storage places. I think I also got overwhelmed by the task
of tidying up at the end of a busy day with four young children, when I was
desperately tired. As a result, when
Vern came home there were toys and mess everywhere... which he found hard to
cope with.
I
did tidy the big downstairs room in the North Turramurra house at least once a
week though(!), because we had a morning tea there every Tuesday. I can remember being pleased to have a good
reason to tidy....even though it needed to be done again by the end of the
morning after maybe as many as ten small children had been playing there!
I
tried having boxes where the toys belonged to make it easier for the kids to
help. I had a number of rectangular
plastic washing-up bowls, and on the outside I drew a shape – a car for
instance – and shaded it in using black texta, so that was where the cars
went. But this was only moderately
successful.
There
always seemed to be piles of washing to be done, and then clean clothes to be
sorted! I think it was soon after the
children each had their own bedroom in Westbrook that I gave each one their own
named laundry basket and treated each child’s clothes as a separate wash. This way I didn’t have to work out which
socks and underpants belonged to which child!
And as they got older they were responsible for their own washing and
ironing. Vern was very good – he looked
after his own clothes too, and even ironed his own shirts.
Once
the children started school they had to wear lace-up shoes which needed
cleaning. Without actually discussing
it, I waited for Vern to do this – and he waited for me. It took us a while to work out that in his
house his mum had cleaned the shoes – whereas in mine, it was my father!
I
have to confess I am not very good at making the bed every morning, nor
remembering to wash the towels and sheets every week! I can remember that when our house in
Wahroonga was for sale and we had to keep the whole house clean and tidy – and
the beds made every day, I said that maybe this would help me develop better
habits! I am much better at doing a
‘spring clean’ when I move a bit of furniture in a room than following a
routine cleaning schedule!
I
was certainly spoilt by those years in PNG when we had someone who would come
and clean, wash and iron every day....
(When we first arrived we weren’t going to employ anyone because we
thought it was the ‘wrong’ thing to do!
But after we had about seven different people come to our door in the first
week asking, pleading for work we decided to take the next person... who turned
out to be Leo, who was young and inexperienced and ended up being trained by
John, who was our neighbour’s house-boy!).
And then for 15 or so years in Wahroonga, when I was very busy doing
volunteer work we had Mrs Kim (who also cleaned for Gael) come every week – she
cleaned upstairs one week and downstairs the next. She wasn’t the most brilliant cleaner – but
she was exceptionally honest and I was very happy to trust her with our house
key.
I
am very fortunate that now we live in Wingham Vern has taken on the
responsibility of doing the vacuuming each week. I feel a bit guilty that I am not doing the
dusting as regularly as I ought.
But I am getting a lot better these days at making the extra
effort to pack the dishwasher with the dirty dishes after the evening meal –
most of the time, anyway. I am finding
that I do enjoy seeing a tidy kitchen first thing in the morning.... and helped by the fact that when the sun
shines in to our kitchen every single little spot of dust shows!
No comments:
Post a Comment