Mature, mellow and vintage – that’s me!
“quality, choice, superior, better, good,
select, best, classic, aged, seasoned, mature(d), mellow(ed)"
Or to hand-pick phrases from some of the
definitions:
ripe, or fully aged; fully developed in body
or mind; well-matured; made gentle and compassionate by age or maturity;
softened; an exceptionally fine wine from the crop of a good year.....
As opposed to old, elderly and in declining
years....!
But I’m not!!
Certainly I am definitely over 65... several
generations ago this would have been regarded as definitely ‘past it’....but
that’s not how I feel inside! “Young at heart” isn’t
quite right either...I have to say that I’ve lost a lot of that ‘don’t care about
the consequences’ that I associate with being young. Certainly some
of the things I did in my youth I wouldn’t even want to do now – not even think
of doing, let alone being able to!!
But I don’t feel old either... I still
want to try new things, at my own pace admittedly, and on my own
terms..... and I want to be able to understand most of
what my children and grandchildren are talking about. I want to nod
wisely in the right places, and be able to ask reasonably intelligent questions
and understand at least most of their answers!
I still get a surprise when I look in the mirror
and see all that grey and greying hair, and the wrinkles, and the start of a
double chin... but let’s not dwell on all this! Some parts of my
body do ache and creak, and there’s too much body in some places! Consequently
it flops and wobbles..... And I really don’t like those air-dryers
for your hands in toilet washrooms (although I must admit the new Dyson ones
are very effective)... you see, they do terrible things to the loose skin on
the back of your hand when you’re older....it builds up in waves with the
pressure of the air – and takes quite a while to get back into place......
But I LOVE new things – learning new skills,
dabbling in new technologies – and conquering them – or at least using them,
even if I couldn’t say I’ve completely mastered them!
Maybe not when they first appear – it takes me a
while to adjust to new fashions (and when it’s clothes or shoes they’re usually
going out of fashion by the time I’m willing to accept them as ‘normal ‘) – and
for some of the new technologies I wouldn’t want to pay out good money for them
when they first appear....
But, I don’t want to wish myself into a backwater
either, or reject something out of hand without giving it a go (unless it’s
something akin to bungee-jumping!). And I love solving
problems...finding missing socks, working out how a new gadget works, adjusting
to a new camera that doesn’t have a viewfinder – just a screen at the back,
working out how to navigate round a new piece of software......
So – that is why I’m having a go at a BLOG!
No comments:
Post a Comment